- Best War Movie: Blackhawk Down (2001). Americans in Somalia get into no end of trouble. A throw-back to the old-style war movies, with an all-star all-male cast.
- Best Two-Parter: Kill Bill (2003) and Kill Bill (2004) has a body count nearly as great. Contains homages galore and too many memorable bits to list here.
- Best Detective Movie: Memento (2000) featuring the most absent minded detective ever. Subordinates structure to storytelling.
- Best Sword and Sandals Epic: 300 (2006). A movie that pushes the boundaries of the medium, in this case, visually.
- Best Superhero Movie: Iron Man (2008). Edging out Spider-Man (2002), Spider-Man 2 (2004) and Spider-Man 3 (2007). Robert Downey Jr and Gwyneth Paltrow give a superior performance.
- Best Thriller: Hard Candy (2005). Very few actors can carry a movie all by themselves. Ellen Page is one of them.
- Best Sequel: Hannibal (2001). The unfilmable book is somehow brought to life by Anthony Hopkins and Julianne Moore. Stands out in a decade of unimaginative sequels.
- Best Romance: Secretary (2002). A charming story in which masochist Maggie Gyllenhaal finds true love with her sadistic boss James Spader.
- Best Chick Flick: Devil Wears Prada (2006). Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt represent everyone who's ever worked for a psychpath.
- Best Sci Fi Movie: Resident Evil (2002). Milla Jovovich is great in this one, in a decade surprisingly short on decent sci-fi. Avoid the sequels at all costs.
A Decade in Lists - Movies
Fires Near Me from the NSW Rural Fire Service. Yesterday there were 90 fires burning. Have a look. Fortunately, everything is fine here. A lot of…
I bought a new iPhone 5. My old iPhone 3GS has given sterling service, but it's time to move on.