- Best War Movie: Blackhawk Down (2001). Americans in Somalia get into no end of trouble. A throw-back to the old-style war movies, with an all-star all-male cast.
- Best Two-Parter: Kill Bill (2003) and Kill Bill (2004) has a body count nearly as great. Contains homages galore and too many memorable bits to list here.
- Best Detective Movie: Memento (2000) featuring the most absent minded detective ever. Subordinates structure to storytelling.
- Best Sword and Sandals Epic: 300 (2006). A movie that pushes the boundaries of the medium, in this case, visually.
- Best Superhero Movie: Iron Man (2008). Edging out Spider-Man (2002), Spider-Man 2 (2004) and Spider-Man 3 (2007). Robert Downey Jr and Gwyneth Paltrow give a superior performance.
- Best Thriller: Hard Candy (2005). Very few actors can carry a movie all by themselves. Ellen Page is one of them.
- Best Sequel: Hannibal (2001). The unfilmable book is somehow brought to life by Anthony Hopkins and Julianne Moore. Stands out in a decade of unimaginative sequels.
- Best Romance: Secretary (2002). A charming story in which masochist Maggie Gyllenhaal finds true love with her sadistic boss James Spader.
- Best Chick Flick: Devil Wears Prada (2006). Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt represent everyone who's ever worked for a psychpath.
- Best Sci Fi Movie: Resident Evil (2002). Milla Jovovich is great in this one, in a decade surprisingly short on decent sci-fi. Avoid the sequels at all costs.
A Decade in Lists - Movies
Went to a book launch at the Officer's Mess at ADFA for Phillip Bradley's Battle of Wau. He's working his way through the campaign in New Guinea…
Took a first step towards turning the thesis into a book. It may be recalled from an earlier post that the Army History Unit offered to provide an…
Graduation Day. On hand was my Mum and Dad, and my niece Jenette who came up from Melbourne. Also Steve and Rhonda from Seattle, Washington. They've…